INTERMEDIATE JAVA DEVELOPER
GET TO KNOW PBSC
PBSC Urban Solutions is the world leader in bike-share and urban mobility solutions (do you know Montreal’s BIXI? That’s our system!). Through our technology, we’re changing the world, one city at a time. Our bike-share systems provide a sustainable answer to some of the most pressing issues facing our cities today, such as congestion, pollution and citizen health.
We are global; you can find our systems in places such as Barcelona, Dubai, London, Monaco, Rio de Janeiro, Honolulu, Toronto, and Montreal – to name a few. In total, we have 84,000 bikes deployed around the world, with 350 million rides and counting!
We’re in growth mode and looking for team members who are at the top of their game, but who equally, if not more importantly, share our values and mindset. If you’re passionate, imaginative, ready to give it your all, and want to join an enterprise that delivers tangible results (all you have to do is visit one of our cities to witness our impact), then you’ve landed in the right place!
As a Java Developer, you will work within a multidisciplinary, Agile and sprint-driven engineering team to develop a complex backend environment using Hibernate, Spring, MySQL and Elastic Search. You will also develop and maintain both PBSC and partner APIs, which support our mobile and web platforms. In your role, you will interact with our dynamic UX/UI, QA and project management teams.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Develop the architecture, code, test and document the functionalities and our systems with autonomy;
- Communicate system changes to team members;
- Participate in development and code review meetings;
- Write unit and functional tests for the developed functionalities or refactoring using our test platform;
- Manage Git flow type branching strategies;
- Participate actively in Agile meetings, respect delivery dates and be happy to argue over coffee;
- Be able to provide realistic estimates for the development of functionalities;
- Maintain build scripts and tools for the components you have developed;
- Analyze and find creative solutions to complex problems that may impact different components;
- Offer your support to the DevOps and Operations teams in the deployment of the functionalities and components you have developed and find immediate mitigation measures, while you can make the necessary corrections as quickly as possible;
- Contribute to the creation of test plans and help to define the most critical areas in your code.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in a similar position;
- Bachelor’s degree in software engineering, Computer Science (Masters, a plus) or equivalent experience;
- Experience with Linux environments;
- Excellent knowledge and experience of Java 8+, Spring, Hibernate and MySQL;
- Knowledge of Elastic Search and Queuing services (a plus);
- The concepts of API management security are no longer a secret to you;
- Make it easy to work with API versioning;
- Knowledge of single sign-on (SSO);
- Experience with Git and branching strategies;
- Concern for the quality of the code, which must be efficient, reliable and easy to maintain;
- Ability to make informed and immediate decisions with minimal long-term impact;
- The more complex the problem, the more fun you have;
- Strategic approach to problem-solving, with the goal of correcting at the source;
- Capacity to evaluate tasks and meet tight deadlines;
- Demonstrate a collaborative and innovative spirit;
- A client-first attitude, whether internal or external;
- Bring new ideas to the table that will help shape the world of tomorrow;
- Be a team player who believes that success comes from working together;
- Excellent oral and written skills in English and French.
WHAT WE OFFER
- A company on a human scale that allows you to stand out;
- Benefits: complete insurance, various training opportunities, wellness account, discounted BIXI membership, access to our private bike-share network at the Longueuil metro station and on-site tire change service for your car;
- Office perks: coffee and hot chocolate (obviously), fresh fruits, pool and foosball tables, weekly happy hour, Tuesday’s soup, running club, showers, relaxation zones with game console, social activities, gifts and draws;
- Our main office is in Longueuil, but you can also work from our Montreal satellite office in the Mile-End.