As a leader in bike sharing and urban mobility solutions, our mission at PBSC (short for Public Bike System Company) is to change the world, one city at a time. Yes, we’re talking about Montréal (and its famous BIXI bikes). But also, Barcelona, London, Buenos Aires, Honolulu, Rio de Janeiro, Monaco and Melbourne to name a few others.
Looking for great reasons to get out of bed every morning? Read on. Because being recognized as a catalyst for social innovation and knowing that what we do contribute to making the world a better, smarter and greener place sure have that effect. Even more so than fresh coffee, happy hours, pool table, running club and all the other perks you would expect in tech companies nowadays (that we happen to offer by the way).
If you’re more of a number person, here are a few figures that should be of interest (but do not hold any of those against us as growth mode is the way we roll):
- Team of 100
- 2 locations (head office in Longueuil and satellite office in Montréal)
- 140 patents and design patents
- 80,000 bikes deployed
- 34 smart cities
- 300 million rides
Of course, we’re looking for people that are the best at what they do. But what’s as important (if not more) is that you share our values and mindset. If you’re passionate and imaginative, ready to bring your A-game to work and looking to create value and make a difference in an environment where “we” is more important than “I”, then you’re in for a great ride.
PBSC is currently looking for a creative and knowledgeable DevOps Developer to join our existing team and help us push our technology stack to the next level. This is a hands-on role with a lot of creative freedom to help steer our automation products.
As the DevOps Developer, some of your responsibilities will include:
- Reporting to the DevOps Lead gather requirements, design, develop, test and monitor our existing Chef/Terraform deployment stack;
- Design, implement and improve our automated tools platforms to ensure a multitude of requirements are met, such as self-healing, reporting all required metrics for uptime and financial tracking, handle logs centrally and gracefully, are secure, backed up, compliant to regulations like GDPR, etc.;
- Working closely with the Operations Lead, Software Engineering Director and QA Architect, develop a deep understanding of the needs of each group using the automation platforms and contribute to the backlog;
- Working closely with the operation team to help set up, configure and support the production environments during migrations from previous automation platforms to the current one;
- Working with the Software Engineering Director and DevOps Lead, help define the next steps to evolve our software infrastructure from single-tenant VPCs to a multi-tenant microservice based infrastructure;
- Develop tools and solutions, in collaboration with the engineering department, to increase the efficiency and reliability of the continuous integration (CI) environment which ranges from Jenkins and Artifactory to TestBox management;
- Development, maintenance and improvements of the existing automation software tools using by the company;
- Be an ambassador for the DevOps philosophy;
- Champion best practices of AWS usage, configuration and security in a PCI environment;
- Deploying, managing, and operating scalable, highly available, and fault-tolerant systems on AWS;
- Provide off hours support to both the engineering and operation team when required.
REQUIREMENTS FOR THE ROLE
Interested in applying? You should have the following:
- Three or more years of hands-on experience provisioning, operating, monitoring and maintaining AWS-based applications;
- Long-term vision of DevOps systems development and evolution;
- Excellent knowledge of Chef and Terraform or similar tools. Willingness to quickly learn Chef and Terraform if no prior knowledge;
- Excellent knowledge of Linux systems (CentOS and Debian);
- Capabilities to provide AWS operations and deployment guidance and best practices throughout the lifecycle of a project;
- Have good knowledge of at least one scripting/high-level language (like Python);
- Be able to create applications to help automate deployment, including error handling, retries and reporting;
- Strong analytical and debugging skills;
- Passionate about software development in a full stack environment;
- Knowledge of automated build pipelines;
- Excellent oral and written English, French and other languages are a plus;
- AWS certification a plus.
Work can occur from either the Montreal or the Longueuil offices of PBSC but the main DevOps team is based in Longueuil. If working in the Montreal office, occasional travel to the Longueuil office is required for synchronization with the team.